An estimated 36 million Americans wear dentures, which are false teeth designed to comfortably replace missing teeth. The following tips and advice from your family dentist can help you maintain both your oral health and denture functionality for years to come.
- Rinse off your dentures after each meal. After eating, remove your dentures and remove all visible food debris.
- Brush your mouth after each meal. Cleaning your mouth after a meal is as important as cleaning the dentures themselves. To ensure that the open spaces between your remaining natural teeth remain free of food remnants that can lead to tooth decay, gently scrub your mouth with a soft-bristled brush. This will also create a clean surface for your dentures to adhere to.
- Brush your dentures daily. Rinsing off your dentures is important. However, dentists also recommend thoroughly washing dentures every day to guarantee their longevity. Use a soft-bristled brush and mild cleanser that will not scratch or otherwise damage your dentures.
- Soak your dentures each night. Many dentures must stay moist to maintain their shape. When you retire for the evening, do not leave your dentures out. Instead, immerse them overnight either in water or a denture-soaking solution. If you use a denture-soaking solution, remember to rinse off your dentures before you use them again, as some solutions should not be ingested.
- Handle your dentures carefully. When cleaning your dentures, be careful not to bend or break the plastic clasps. If you take out your dentures for any reason during the day, place them on a soft surface to avoid breakage. Never soak dentures with metal attachments in a solution that has chlorine, as this chemical may tarnish the metal.
- Maintain regular checkups with your dentist. No matter how diligent you may be with your denture maintenance, it is vital to schedule regular visits with your family dentistry practitioner. Only your dentist can adjust your dentures to ensure a proper fit. Ill-fitting dentures can cause inflammation, infection, and sores and be highly detrimental to your oral health.
Baker Family Dental offers patients of Mesa, Arizona a host of family dentistry and orthodontics services. To schedule an appointment, or to speak with one of our qualified dentists, please call us at (480) 719-3044.